> Location: San Francisco, California
> Year opened: 1849
First opened as a coffee stand, this place grew into a sit-down restaurant. John Tadich, a Croatian immigrant, bought it in 1887 and named it for himself. The Buich family, also Croatian, took it over in 1928 and their descendents still operate it. The establishment moved to a new location in 1967.